Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Portland, OR

Ah Portland, home to the most brewpubs (and strip clubs) per capita than any city in the U.S. While this rules, it poses the challenge of selecting which brewpub to go to. I decided that the best course of action would be to choose 4 within the same general area that locals had recommended to me. With that said, here we go:

Bridgeport Ale House
bridgeportbrew.com
It was my goal with this blog to spread good cheer and review the better beers a particular establishment offers rather than the bad ones. After hearing about all the hype that surrounds Bridgeport I feel it is my job to let people know that in my humble opinion, this hype is unfounded.
Their flagship Blue Heron Ale for example, is a mediocre brew. I understand that it's a lighter brew and thus is not meant to have huge flavor but it would be nice if it had some flavor. Their imperial brew, aptly named the Hop Czar, is a robust IPA at 7.5% ABV. Usually I'd love a beer like this but found right off the bat that the bitterness and wonderful citrusy character of cascade and centennials used presented themselves as merely sour, and not in a good way. This stuff is drinkable to some degree, but it needs some balancing to keep the hops in line as they weigh in at 85 IBU's. The other beers I sampled were pretty lackluster and needless to say, I'm pretty bummed about this brewery.

The Lucky Labrador
luckylab.com
AH! There is hope for my tastebuds! The Lucky Lab is a hip brewpub located just down the road from Bridgeport. The bar is beautiful, located in what appears to be an old warehouse thats full of charm and character. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, willing to chat with me and offer samples and suggestions. I feel terrible that I can't remember the name of the dude who helped me (please comment if you see this).

Solar Flare 5.9% ABV
I was told to try the Solar Flare first as it is the brewery's first fully solar powered brew. The light, crisp, thirst quenching nature of this beer was much needed, as this was an incredibly hot day in Portland. Poured on tap, this beer is gold in color and has a light bubbly head. The aroma is fresh, sweet and bready; that of wheat, and a slightly piney hop aroma. The mouthfeel is very crisp and grassy. A delicious, well balanced lighter brew. Good stuff.

Open Bridge Brown
Served on tap, this is a brown ale with a dark amber color, a big head and an aroma of apple and caramel, slight hops too. The taste is slightly more bitter than most browns, not in accordance with its sweet aroma. A decent brew, nothing too special.

McMennamins
mcmenamins.com
A varitable orgy of beers served on tap (pictured left), I had way too much to drink in this establishment, and all for free thanks to the staff. Even with its knick knacky Chili's-like decor, I got a great vibe from this place.

Purple Haze
(Pictured right) Usually I'm not a huge fan of fruity beers, but this was some good stuff. Nice to look at, it pours very cloudy with a reddish amber/purple color. Malt is dominant in the aroma, slight hops, slight fruit. Light head, spotty lacing. The beer is infused with marian berries which prove to be pretty sweet, but maltiness balances that out. It has a big sharp carbonation to it, body is a little thin and has an acidic/dry mouthfeel. Drinkable, but probably would become overwhelming after more than a few glasses.

Terminator Stout 6.4% ABV
Black to light brown in color, a brown fluffy head that quickly dissipates. Not too strong in the scent department, some roasted malt, chocolate, like any other stout.
Caramel and bitter chocolate taste up front, with alcohol finish. Smooth, wet and velvety mouthfeel and carbonation akin to Guinness but not to be compared to said brew in any other way. Incredibly drinkable. Delicious, definitely recommend.

Lompoc
newoldlompoc.com
Before I get to the beer I must mention that this brewery has their own custom embroidered snuggies for 25 bucks a pop. Awesome. There are a few locations for these brewpubs in town, this particular one was conveniently located next to the McMenamins I visited and had a homey Irish pub type feel.

LSD 6.9% ABV
Also known as the Lompoc Strong Draft. Cleverly named to fit the ever more clever anagram it is known by. It was my favorite beer of the day. Dark brown in color, light tan colored head, light lacing. Another lightly scented beer, the aroma is sweet, oats/barley are apparent, fruity hops. Crisp and smooth mouth feel, sweet and chocolatey, some spices and smoked malt, no noticeable alcohol even with its 6.9% ABV. Award winning with good reason. DRINK THIS! I unfortunately only got to try one of Lompoc's brews due to funding issues. I totally picked the right beer.

UP NEXT: Wynkoop and Great Divide in Denver, CO

1 comment:

  1. hello sir! i am the dude who helped you at the lucky lab. my name is nathan. thanks for being swell customers! glad you liked the beer

    ReplyDelete