Saturday, July 10, 2010

Victory/Legend

VICTORYBEER.COM
LEGENDBREWING.COM


Friday night marked day one of my bands tour and my beer odyssey. I started it out at the fantastical Victory Brewing Company. I didn't get there in time for the brewery tour, but they have a beautiful brew pub (which was absolutely packed) next door, all their beers freshly on tap and available for sampling. I started out with a pint of Storm King stout. Think of it as a Guinness with a thicker body and slight hoppiness to it. Not my favorite type of beer, but still delicious. My favorites that I sampled were the Old Horizontal, a sweet and delicious barley wine (surprisingly light given its nature) and their seasonal Hollertau, which I purchased a growler of. I almost went back the next day for seconds but could not convince my compadres to do so.

Saturday led us to the Legend Brewery in Richmond, VA. Their flagship beers are mainly English style. They had a Hefeweizen as their seasonal (which was my favorite). Again, because of our travel time, we missed out on the brewery tour. Legend, like Victory has a brewpub though. It featured an outdoor patio with live music, surrounded by overgrown hops and grape vines. I would definitely recommend this joint for the atmosphere alone. The food was great as well, typical pub food with some surprises. I had a dozen oysters on the half shell, which paired great with the Hefeweizen I ordered. Every beer I sampled was solid, robust in taste and character, aside from the pilsner which obviously wasn't so loud in flavor, but still delightful, dry and round. It had the perfect amount of body. My other favorite I tried was the Pale Ale. It was super hoppy and sharp with a crisp carbonation. I would simply like to see some more adventure and risk in the brews that legend produces. Nonetheless, good stuff is to be found here.


Victory!

Me and the boys at Legend

TOMORROW: We hopefully hit up Sweetwater Brewing Co in Atlanta and Moon River in Savannah. Only time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment