Monday, August 16, 2010

Hoppy Feet by Clown Shoes Brewing Co. Ipswich, MA

clownshoesbeer.com

After hearing the name of this beer, that it was brewed here in Mass and that it was a black IPA, I felt I needed to immediately go out and procure a 22 oz bottle for myself immediately. The beer is brewed under contract by Mercury Brewing Co. in Ipswich, the same guys that brew Ipswich Ales.

The beer pours dark brown and builds up a huge tan creamy head. Sharp grapefruit aroma up front with toasty chocolately undertones. The flavor makes an awesome transition from hoppy citrus into a deep dark coffee. There's a sharp and fine carbonation and a dry mouthfeel. All this amounts to a great beer thats very light and drinkable. This being my first black IPA, it's definitely not what I expected. I was looking for less of the blackness and more hops to contribute to the IPA-ness. Regardless of this, its is a delicious and unique beer. I've since had a few other black IPA's and they were closer to what I had anticipated with this brew. Though I enjoyed them a great deal, I'm glad that Hoppy Feet stands out on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment