Saturday, August 14, 2010

Watch City, Waltham, MA

Just a note: I realized that I haven't been specifying how the beers have been served, whether out of bottle or on draught. This is because nearly every beer I have tried has been served on draught. Unless I say otherwise, assume that this is the case!

watchcitybrew.com
Now that I'm back home in my native Boston, I'm hard pressed finding local brewpubs because well, there aren't any. Wait, we have Rockbottom! Oh wait thats a corporate chain. Oh we also have Deadwood! Oh...thats a chain too. Boston Beer Works? Chain. John Harvard's Brewpub? Fucking chain! It seems counter-intuitive that one of the oldest cities in the country has a serious lack of truly local beers but that's just the way it is. Thanks to a recent issue of the Yankee Brew News, I found a few promising leads. The most interesting of these was Watch City in Waltham, MA. Just minutes from my new apartment, it's a delicious gastrobrewpub with a fantastic beer menu to match.

Titan Ale 6.1% ABV
Dark brown in color with little to no head and little to no lacing. Big hops in the nose with a hint of nuts and sweet maple. This beer has a slightly creamy body and hints of fruit, nuts and spices. The sweetness is perfectly balanced out with some mild hops. It finishes dry and leaves a malty flavor on the tongue.

Golden Cream Ale
Served on cask. Light gold in color with a surprisingly huge head and slight cloud. No carbonation visible. Woody, toasty and malty in aroma. The taste is slightly bitter, hints of apple and light spices. The body is smooth and creamy, no carbonation detectable, as with most cask aged beers. The finish is wet and mildly fruity.

As for the food, good shit. Grabbed their lamb burger with a feta spread on it. Definitely one of the tastier burgers of my life, and I'm pretty damn picky. Haven't had anything else on the menu but I'm willing to bet its all pretty good. Just a quick word of advice for those looking to purchase a growler. Do not show up on Sunday to do so because they can't sell you it. The damn puritans still continue to ruin Bostonian's lives this very day.

The bahhh


The Titan


The super sexy beer reviewer at work


The brew house. Brick jacketed kettle? Neat


No more iPhone pics. I promise!

2 comments:

  1. dont' forget CBC!
    http://www.cambrew.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely not forgotten! just needed to make the tone of this post more dramatic and bleak! I'll be hitting them up soon to do an entry. good lookin out though!

    ReplyDelete